William Barnes Bibliography
- Orra, a Lapland Tale. A short poem. 8vo, pp. 28, with four woodcuts by the author. Published by I. Clark, Dorchester.
- Some Small Poems, and Poetical translations of Bion's Epitaph on Adonis, and some of the golden verses of Pythagoras
- Several Short Essays, signed "Dilettante," printed to in the Dorset County Chronicle; also several
- Sonnets and other Poems
- The Etymological Glossary, or Easy Expositor for the Use of Schools and non-Latinists, wherein the greater part of the English words of foreign derivation are so arranged that the learner is enabled to acquire the meaning of many at once. Published in Shaftesbury by J. Rutter ; London, by Whittaker, Teacher, and Arnot. 1829.
1831 to 1841
- Papers in the Gentleman's Magazine:
- On the English Language, pp501-3, June 1830
- Corruption of the English Language, pp393-6, November 1830
- On the civilization of the Spanish Celts, pp117-9, February 1831.
- Observations on the Belgae, Aquitani and Celtae, pp309-311, April 1831
- On English Derivatives, pp500-1, June 1831.
- On the Structure of Dictionaries. pp139, August 1831.
- Pronunciation of Latin. October 1831.
- Hieroglyphics. December 1831.
- Napper's Mite, Dorchester, with woodcut. May 1833.
- Silton Church, with woodcut. June 1833.
- Sturminster Newton Church. June 1833.
- The English Language. June 1833.
- Nailsea Church, Somerset. July 1833.
- Chelvey, Somerset. September 1833.
- Puncknowle Church, with woodcut. July 1835,
- On Roman Numerals. December 1837.
- On AEsop. June 1838.
- Some Etymologies. July 1838.
- On the so-called Kimmeridge Coal Money. Feb. 1839.
- Battle of Pen. February 1839.
- The Roman Amphitheatre, Dorchester. May 1839.
- The Hindoo Shasters. June 1839.
- The Phoenicians. August 1839.
- Hindoo Pooran and Sciences. September 1839.
- Hindoo Fakeers. January 1840.
- Dorset Dialect compared with Anglo-Saxon. January 1840.
- The Old " Judge's House," Dorchester, with wood cut. November 1840.
- Education in Words and Things. January 1841.
- Fielding's House at Stour, with woodcut. Feb. 1841.
- Goths and Teutons. May 1841.
- Laws of Case. May 1841.
- Papers in Hone's Year Book:
- A Catechism of Government in General, and of England in Particular. Bastable, Shaftesbury.
- The Mnemonic Manual.
- A Few Words on the Advantages of a more Common Adoption of the Mathematics as a Branch of Education. London : Whittaker and Co.
- A Mathematical Investigation of the principle of Hanging Doors, Gates, Swing Bridges, and other Heavy Bodies. Dorchester : Simmonds and Sydenham.
- An Arithmetical and Commercial Dictionary. London : Whittaker and Co. Price Is. Qd.
- A Pronouncing Dictionary of Geographical Names.
- The Elements of Grammar. London : Longmans and Co. ; Whittaker and Co. 1s.
- The Elements of Linear Perspective and the Projections of Shadows, with sixteen diagrams cut in wood by the author.
1843 to 1849
- Reviews of various books in magazines.
- Exercises in Practical Science, containing the Main Principles of Dynamics, Statics, Hydrostatics, and Hydrodynamics, with fourteen diagrams. Dorchester : Clark. Small 8vo.
- "Sabbath Days" : Six Sacred Songs. Words by W. Barnes, Music by F. W. Smith. London : Chappell, 50, New Bond Street.
- Poems in the Dorset Dialect, with a Dissertation on the Folk Speech, and a Glossary of Dorset Words. Printed by Clark, Dorchester ; published by J. Russell Smith, London. Price 10s. Second Edition printed by Maurice and Co., published by J. R. Smith in 1847. Third Edition printed by Simmonds, Dorchester. Fourth Edition published by J. Russell Smith in 1862. Fifth Edition by same in 1866.
- Poems, partly of Rural Life (in national English), London : J. R. Smith, 4, Old Compton Street. Price 5s.
- Outlines of Geography and Ethnography for Youth. Dorchester : Barclay, Cornhill. Price 3s. 6d.
- Se Gefylsta : An Anglo-Saxon Delectus. London : J. Russell Smith. Second Edition in 1866.
- Humilis Domus : Some Thoughts on the Abodes, Life, and Social Condition of the Poor, especially in Dorsetshire. Pamphlet.
1853 and 1854
- Papers in the Retrospective Review. Yol. I. Art. 4. and " Population and Emigration at the beginning of the Seventeenth Century " " Anecdota Literaria," pp. 97 and 201. " Extracts from the Diary of John Richards, Esq." Art. 11. "Pyrrhonism of Joseph Glanvill."
- Vol. II. (Feb.) Art 6. " Leland the Antiquary." (May) Art. 5. " Controversial Writers of Astrology." (Aug.) Art. 3. " Waterhouse and Fox on the Utility of Learning in the Church."
- A Philological Grammar grounded upon English, and formed from a comparison of more than Sixty Languages. Being an Introduction to the Science of Grammar in all Languages, especially English, Latin, and Greek. 8vo, pp. 312. London : John Russell Smith. Price 9s.
- Hwomely Rhymes. A second collection of Dorset Poems. London : J. R. Smith. Second Edition. 1869.
- Britain and the Ancient Britons. London : J. R. Smith. Small 8vo. Price 3s.
- Views of Labour and Gold. London : J. R. Smith.
- The Song of Solomon in the Dorset Dialect. Printed at the private press of H.R.H. Prince Lucien Buonaparte.
1861 to 1867
- Papers in Macmillan's Magazine:
- The Beautiful in Nature and Art. May 1861.
- The Rise and Progress of Trial by Jury in Britain. March 1862.
- The Rariora of Old Poetry. May 1863.
- Poem: Fellowship. pp56-57, November 1865.
- Plagiarism and Coincidence; or, Thought-Thievery and Thought-Likeness. November 1866.
- On Bardic Poetry. pp306 August 1867.
- Several Poems at different times.
- Articles in Fraser's Magazine
- A Grammar and Glossary of the Dorset Dialect, with the History of the Outspreading and Bearings of the South-Western English. Published for the Philological Society by A. Asher and Co., Berlin.
- Third Collection of Poems in Dorset Dialect. London : J. R. Smith. Second Edition in 1870.
- Third Collection of Poems of Rural Life in Dorset Dialect. London : J. R. Smith. 1863
- Reviews in the Reader - Dean Hoare on English Roots and Stems. September 1863.
- Coote's Neglected Fact in English History. July 1864.
- A Guide to Dorchester. Published by Barclay, Dorchester.
- Paper on Dorset. Read before the British Archaeological Society at Dorchester. Published in their Transactions.
1863 to 1867
- Serial Articles in Ladies' Treasury to Christian Marriage. 1863.
- Prinking. 1866.
- The House. 1867.
- A Glossary and some pieces of verse of the Old Dialect of the English Colony in the Counties of Forth and Bargy. By Jacob Poole. Edited with Introduction and Historical Notes by W. Barnes. London : J. R. Smith. 8vo, cloth. 4s. Qd.
- The Church in Ireland. Logical anomalies of the Disendowment. Dorset County Chronicle.
- The Eating of Tithes. Dorset County Chronicle.
- Poems of Rural Life in Common English, London :Macmillan. American Edition, illustrated, published by Roberts Brothers at Boston on December 1st, same year.
- Paper on the "Farm Labourer," and Employment of Women and Children in Agriculture. Written for the Government Commission. Printed in the Blue Book, Appendix, Part II., to Second Report.
- Early England and the Saxon English. London : J. Russell Smith. Small 8vo. Price 3s.
- A Paper on Somerset. Read before the Somerset Archaeological Society at Wincanton. Published by F. May, Taunton. Reprinted from the Proceedings.
- On the Origin of the Hundred and Tithings of English Law. Read before the British Archaeological Association at Weymouth. Printed in their Transactions.
- South-Coast Saunterings in England, Harper's Magazine, Volume 48, pp187-197 (Dorset Dialect and Folklore)
- Poem, A British Earthwork, pp94-96, Vol 1: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1877.
- Notes on the History of Shaftesbury, pp27-38, Vol 3: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1879.
- The Tout Hill. Shaftesbury, pp48, Vol 3: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1879.
- Poems of Rural Life in the Dorset Dialect. 8vo, pp. 467. Being a collected form, including all the three series previously published. London : Kegan Paul and Co. Price 6s.
- On the Iter XVI of Antoninus, pp62-77, Vol 4: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1881.
- Cranborne, the So Called Castle, pp134-136, Vol 4: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1881.
- On the Maze or Mizmaze, at Leigh, Dorset, pp154-157, Vol 4: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1881.
- Dorset Folk in the Leisure Hour.
- Some Slight Notes on Badbury Rings, pp38-39, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Eggardon and British Tribeship, pp40-46, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Notes on the Torque, pp47-48, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- A Study on the Bockley or Bockerley Dyke and others in Dorset, pp49-56, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Notes on the so called Roman Roads, pp69-80, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Study on the Invasion of South West of Britain, by Vespasian, pp18-28, Vol 6: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1885.
- A Study of the Belgae in South Britain, pp33-44, Vol 6: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1885.
- Pilsdon, pp102-105, Vol 7: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1886.
- A Glossary of Dorset Speech. Partly printed, but never published, as the author's death prevented the final revisions.
- The Life of William Barnes - Poet & Philologist by his daughter Lucy Baxter - 'Leader Scott'. Macmillian and Co. 1887
- Select Poems of William Barnes - Chosen and Edited, with A Preface And Glossarial Notes by Thomas Hardy. London. Henry Frowde. 1908.
- Dorsetshire Folklore by John Symonds Udal with Fore-Say by the late William Barnes. Hertford. Stephen Austins and Son Ltd. 1922.
Futher works by and about William Barnes: view online
William Barnes - from Thirteen Worthies Llewelyn Powys - 1923
A List of Some Dorset Words With a Few Hints on Dorset Word-Shapes (University of Adelaide Library - eBook)
Poems of Rural Life in the Dorset Dialect (University of Adelaide Library - eBook)
Willam Barnes Society Members Annual Summer Lunch
12:00 till 15:30
William Barnes at Stock Gaylard Oak Fair 2018
14:30 till 16:00
Celebrating William Barnes with Tim Laycock and Friends
10:30 till 12:00
Morning Service of Remembrance at St Peters, Dorchester
19:00 till 21:00
2018 Annual General Meeting of the William Barnes Society